Add my share bar, social sharing buttons, in Joomla CMS

Postby TECOrange » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:45 am

Estimated time needed for modification: 6 minutes

Steps

Login to your admin panel

Click Content -> Article Manager

Click Options button

Click Text Filters tab

Ensure that for Administrators and Super Users filter type option is set to No Filtering

If this is not the settings then set to No filtering and Click Save & Close button

Click on Site->Global Configuration

At Site tab set Default Editor to Editor – None

Click Save & Close Button

Then click Extensions -> Module Manager

Click the + (New) button

Select Custom HTML from the list

At Title field type: my share bar

At Show Title select Hide

At Position select the position your bar will appear based on the theme you are using

At Custom output paste the code your have from http://www.tecorange.com/my_share_bar

Click Save & Close

Your bar has been added check your site’s front page to see appearance.

Now at your modules your have the my share bar module tha you can edit anytime you want.

Comments:

This procedure has been tested in joomla version 1.6 but similar procedure should work on any version.

At the first steps of this procedure we disabled editors and text filtering because text editors and text filtering is removing the <iframe> tag. With out this we can not install the bar.

Once done you can set back these settings to anything you like, but you have to set them again as described above if you ever need to modify my share bar.

During module creation you have also the options to set in which pages the bar will be displayed.

This way, based on the module position selection you have made, my share bar can appear on all pages and your visitors will be able to socialize all these pages and articles with their distinguished page/article title and URL.

You can add button combinations to varius possitions of your site simple by creating more custom modules. You can use <div> tags to set position left or right within your desired location.

An example or my share bar in Joomla can be found at http://www.tecorange.com (my share bar appears in 2 locations with different button combinations and sizes)

Thank you!
TECOrange
Site Admin

Return to Support